It is often a common misconception that gas safety checks are carried out as part of the mortgage lenders survey, however, gas checks are not included in the survey process and it is the responsibility of the individual buying the property to ensure appropriate gas safety checks are performed.
Having a registered engineer perform a gas safety check on your new home before the sale is complete can help you be sure that not only is your home safe but that the appliances are in good working order. If you do not check that the appliances in your new home are working as they should you could be faced with appliance repair or even replacement costs.
As a homeowner,it is important to you carry out regular gas safety checks on your gas appliances, such as gas fires, gas cookers, gas boilers and gas firedwater heaters to ensure they are safe and working as they should. Things can change, pipework can deteriorate and appliances can develop faults, without regular checks you could be putting your safety at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning, gas leaks or fires.
It is estimated that two in three people do not carry out gas safety checks when buying a new home, leaving them at risk of gas related incidents or appliance repair and replacement costs.
Here are some tips to help you ensure your new home is gas safe before you commit to buying the property:
- Ask your solicitor to request a copy of a recent Gas Safety Record to prove that the gas appliances and pipework have been checked by a registered engineer.
- Since April 2016 under the Building Regulations Act, local authorities must be informed about the installation of heat producing gas appliances in a home. It’s a seller’s responsibility to have a copy of the Building Regulations certificate. Ask for a copy if new appliances have been installed.
- If the seller cannot produce a Gas Safety Record, arrange one yourself and request that it be performed before you agree to buy the house.
- Check for smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms in the property and make sure they are working.
At Tailor-Made Property Serviceswe offer a range of high qualityproperty services to homeowners, landlords and residential property managers in Romsey, Southampton and surrounding areas. We provide a friendly, professional and reliable service 7 days a week, 365 days a year in Romsey, Southampton and the surrounding areas.
Our heating and plumbing services, includes repairs, servicing, installations and gas safety certificates to homeowners, landlords and residential property managers throughout Romsey and Southampton. So whether you need to service, repair or install a gas boiler or check that your home is gas safe, Tailor-Made Property Services can help.
As a fully qualified and Gas Safe Registered engineer in Romsey, Southampton and surrounding areas, we provide the following heating and plumbing services:
● Central Heating Repair
● Central Heating Installation
● Gas Safety Certificates
● Homeowner Gas Certificates
● Gas Appliance Installs
● Boiler Servicing
● Power Flushing
● Plumbing in Appliances
● Fitting Taps
● Fitting Shower Valves
● Cistern Repairs
Whether you want to book a visit, request a quote or you have an emergency that needs urgent attention, get in touch with Rebecca or Paul on 01794 329 831 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Don’t forget to share this article on Facebook, Twitter or Google+ by using the red share buttons below.