As the eighth annual Gas Safety Week starts on 17th September, we have been thinking about gas safety in the home and how unsafe appliances could be putting people at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning, gas leaks, fires and explosions.
Many of us take it for granted that just because our gas appliances seem to be working properly that everything is fine and we have nothing to worry about. But, the only way to guarantee your home is gas safe is to have your gas appliances and pipework checked annually by a Gas Safe Registered Engineer such as Tailor-Made Property Services.
1 in 7 homes inspected by the Gas Safe Register in the South East of England werefound to have unsafe gas appliances including gas boiler, gas fires and gas cookers, so how safe is your area?
Visit the Gas Safe Register website to check how safe your area is. Simply enter your postcode and their Gas Map will show you all the unsafe gas appliances that have been found in your area. Check your area now at https://www.staygassafe.co.uk/
Common gas appliances in the home that could be unsafe include gas boilers, gas fires and gas cookers. The Gas Safe Register has released the following interesting statistics onunsafe gas appliances:
● 1 in 9 gas boilers inspected by Gas Safe Register are unsafe
● 1 in 11 gas cookers inspected by Gas Safe Register are unsafe
● 1 in 2 gas fires inspected by Gas Safe Register are unsafe
The findings of the Gas Safe Register help to show the importance of annual gas appliance safety checks and demonstrates that unsafe gas appliances are more common than you may think.
If you are concerned about the gas safety of your home, here are some useful tips to help you ensure gas safety at home and stay safe:
- Only use a Gas Safe Registered engineer, such a Tailor-Made Property Services to install, repair and service your gas appliances.
- Check that the Gas Safe Registered engineer you use is qualified to carry out the work you have asked them to do. You can find this information on the back of their Gas Safe ID card.
- Regularly service and safety check all of your gas appliances every year. If you rent your home ask your landlord for a copy of the current Gas Safety Record.
- Read our blog on How to spot the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning to help you understand and recognise the signs.
- Check for warning signs that your gas appliances may not be working properly. This can include lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones, pilot light keeps going out, dark marks or stains on or around the appliance or an increase in condensation in the room.
- It is important that you have audible carbon monoxide alarms in your home to help detect carbon monoxide as early as possible and prevent any long-termhealth effects. If your home has a fuel burning boiler, fire or cooker you should place a CO detector in each room where fuel is burned, i.e. kitchen and lounge.
- Keep chimneys, flues and vents well maintained, cleaned and free from blockages to ensure they are working.
At Tailor-Made Property Services,we offer a range of high-qualityproperty services to homeowners, landlords and residential property managers in Romsey, Southampton and surrounding areas. We provide a friendly, professional and reliable service 7 days a week, 365 days a year in Romsey, Southampton and the surrounding areas.
Our heating and plumbing services, includes repairs, servicing, installations and gas safety certificates to homeowners, landlords and residential property managers throughout Romsey and Southampton. So whether you need to service, repair or install a gas boiler or check that your home is gas safe, Tailor-Made Property Services can help.
As a fully qualified and Gas Safe Registered engineer in Romsey, Southampton and surrounding areas, we provide the following heating and plumbing services:
● Central Heating Repair
● Central Heating Installation
● Gas Safety Certificates
● Homeowner Gas Certificates
● Gas Appliance Installs
● Boiler Servicing
● Power Flushing
● Plumbing in Appliances
● Fitting Taps
● Fitting Shower Valves
● Cistern Repairs
Whether you want to book a visit, request a quote or you have an emergency that needs urgent attention, get in touch with Rebecca or Paul on 01794 329 831 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Don’t forget to share this article on Facebook, Twitter or Google+ by using the red share buttons below.